This page is dedicated to personal and researched historical stories of the area.
The Herald articles by correspondent Jim Smith (NEWHS Inc. President and Historian/Archivist)
'Interested in the History of Our Area?' - The Herald February 5, 2021
'The Oldest Hotel in Northeast Winnipeg' - The Herald December 30, 2020
'E.K. Was Once Home to an Oil Refinery'' - The Herald December 4, 2020
"Historical Society Wants Your Old Photos' - The Herald November 6, 2020
'The Origins of High School in East Kildonan' - The Herald October 9, 2020
The wonderful new documentary on 'ghost signs' in the Winnipeg Exchange & surrounding area called "Writing on the Wall"
Ghost Creeks: Winnipeg buried many waterways that could have changed city's shape. Research by Darren Bernhardt online editor/reporter for CBC, who interviewed our President/Historian Archivist Jim Smith that also provided a history of our own 'ghost creeks' from our area.
The following 2 links are stories written by Shirley Kowalchuk. Her interest of millstones was 'tweaked' after interviewing Jim Smith on the missing 'Millstone' & that mystery from our area.
Part 1 - A trip to Grant's Old Mill built by Cuthbert Grant at Sturgeon Creek, Winnipeg
Part 2 - 1926 Matheson Mill's mystery of the missing millstones in North Kildonan, Winnipeg